Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan
FCAA is Saskatchewan’s financial and consumer marketplace regulator.
Do you know what questions to ask before committing to a long-term gym contract?
Know the cost
- What fees are associated with signing up? (registration, maintenance, etc)
- What is the total amount payable over the life of the contract?
- Are there extra fees for classes or trainers?
Know your rights
- You can cancel your gym contract:
- within seven business days of receiving the written copy of the contract;
- if you move more than 30 km away from your home gym or one of its other locations;
- if there are material physical, medical or mental changes supported by your medical practitioner that would make gym participation unreasonable;
- if there are material changes in the services being provided, or if the facility moves more than 10 km from its former location; and,
- within a year if the contract does not include all required information.
- The term of a gym contract cannot exceed two years.
Be sure to ask
- Are there penalties or cancellation fees for ending the contract before the term ends?
- What is the cancellation process?
- Are there any fees/restrictions for using equipment or attending classes?
For more information see The Consumer Protection and Business Practices Act and The Consumer and Business Practices Regulations.