Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan
FCAA is Saskatchewan’s financial and consumer marketplace regulator.
Do you know what questions to ask before committing to a long-term gym contract?
Know the cost
- What fees are associated with signing up? (registration, maintenance, etc)
- What is the total amount payable over the life of the contract?
- Are there extra fees for classes or trainers?
Know your rights
- You can cancel your gym contract:
- within seven business days of receiving the written copy of the contract;
- At any time if you move more than 30km from your gym, if the gym relocates more than 10 km from the former location, if the promised services or facilities are no longer substantially available or if you get too sick to attend the gym;
- Within a year if the contract does not include all required information.
- The term of a gym contract cannot exceed two years.
Be sure to ask
- Are there penalties or cancellation fees for ending the contract before the term ends?
- What is the cancellation process?
- Are there any fees/restrictions for using equipment or attending classes?
For more information see The Consumer Protection and Business Practices Act and The Consumer and Business Practices Regulations.