Read the entire contract, protect yourself
Do you know what questions to ask before you commit to a long-term gym contract?
Two things you need to know before you sign up are the cancellation process and knowing the total price of the contract. Many gyms lock you in for a monthly rate but that’s not necessarily the only thing they charge you for.
Know the costs
- What fees are associated with signing up? (Registration, maintenance, etc)
- What is the total amount payable over the life of the contract?
- Are there extra fees for classes or trainers?
Know your rights:
- You can cancel your gym contract within seven business days of receiving the written copy of the contract.
- If you move more than 30km from your gym or you get too sick to attend the gym, you may cancel your contract.
- The term of a contract is limited to two years.
Be sure to ask:
- Are there penalties or cancellation fees if I decide to end my contract before the term ends?
- What is the cancellation process?
- Are there any fees/restrictions for use of equipment or access to classes?
Call Consumer Protection Division
If you have questions about gym contracts, contact us toll free at 1-877-880-5550 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.