Combatting Grossly Excessive Prices (Price Gouging)
FCAA has been advised that price gouging activity is occurring in the Saskatchewan marketplace because of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you observe such practices, inform us, so that we can take steps to address this activity. If left unchecked, unfair practices can lead to seriously disruptive marketplace conditions and consumer harm.
Since we can all assist to make the marketplace fair and equitable, consumers who know of, or observe grossly excessive prices either in advertisements or before, during or after a transaction, are encouraged to do one or more of the following:
1. Call our tip hotline at 1-877-880-5550 to provide information.
2. File a tip
- Report businesses that you observed charging grossly excessive prices during the pandemic period. Note, an information tip does not necessarily mean we can or will investigate or contact you for more details or updates. It is, however, a valuable starting point for us to start identifying certain marketplace behaviour.
- Keep or take pictures of receipts, contracts, and/or advertisements as your information must be accompanied with clear evidence showing that grossly excessive prices are being or have been charged during the period of crisis or emergency. While you may not have all pertinent information, the more details you can provide, the greater it will be of assistance.
3. Register an on-line complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
4. If possible, register a complaint with the business.
- If the business does not respond to the complaint or if the response is unacceptable, include a summary of the business's response when you file a tip.
5. Review the Grossly Excessive Prices "Price Gouging" guidance.